We here at The 500 aren’t just about scantily clad women and awful sports predictions. A little cultural knowledge never hurts either. On this day, 15 May, in 1648, the Treaty of Westphalia was ratified in the German city of Münster. The treaty ended the 30 years war and Dutch-Spanish War, pretty much ending the political-religious shitstorm between Catholics and Protestants that Martin Luther prodded over a century earlier. It also marked the beginning of the sovereign state being the primary political body for international order. The point is, we’re coming to our final Miss 500 lap and a war for these four definitely has a chance to end in bloodshed.
Other notable factoids about 15 May:
– Josh Beckett, Ryan Leaf, Andy Murray, Dan Patrick, Kathleen Sebelius, Hideki Irabu, Emmett Smith, and Jamie-Lynn Sigler (of Sopranos, Entourage and this Lonely Island music video [!!!] fame) were all born on 15 May. That’s one hell of a gangbang.
– In 2006, California became the 2nd US state to legalize same-sex marriage, once again proving that California is better than whatever sorry excuse you call a state.
– In 1940, the first McDonald’s opened in San Bernadino, California, once again proving that California…
– Mickey Mouse appeared in his first cartoon (sans pants, obviously) in 1928
– Pitching for the California Angels, Nolan Ryan threw his first of (a MLB record) seven no hitters, once again proving that California…
– Paraguayan Independence Day
– RIP Emily Dickinson (1886, poet)
– Anne Boleyn, Queen of England and wife of serial spouse beheader King Henry VIII, stands trial for treason, adultery, and incest, once again proving that California…
500 Section Casino Odds
J Law (-2.5) vs. Polly Parsons
Alison Brie (-4) vs. Genesis Rodriguez
Fornicating Four Match Ups